What you need to know about pallet transport
The logistics pallet is a handling aid widely used in the TRM (Transport Routier de Marchandises) sector. Known the world over, it’s one of the perfectly standardized methods of transporting goods and storing them, familiar to all professionals and appreciated for its reliability. Why does your carrier encourage you to palletize your goods as much as possible? Focus on the principle and advantages of logistics pallets.
What is a transport pallet?
The pallet is a handling medium that enables several packages to be grouped together for shipment and/or optimized storage in logistics warehouses. In most cases, the base tray is designed with several boards. These are arranged so as to leave free space, facilitating the use of handling equipment such as forklifts or pallet trucks. They can have 2 or 4 entries.
Wooden transport pallets are the most common type used by transport companies. But there are also plastic pallets, which are lighter and appreciated for their sturdiness. They need to be handled with care, as they can warp under heavy loads. To avoid this risk, metal pallets can be used instead. They’re tough, but they’re heavier and more expensive.
Depending on the needs of each loader, different pallet sizes can be selected. The most common are European pallets, which measure 1,200 x 800 mm and can carry a maximum load of 1,500 kg. There are also variants such as the half-pallet, quarter-pallet and American pallet, among others.
The main advantages of pallets in transport and logistics
Pallets are a ubiquitous handling tool for transporters and logistics professionals. It offers a number of advantages:
- It simplifies handling. With the pallet, there’s no need to place parcels on carts or use rolls: everything is already grouped together and ready to be loaded, unloaded or stored. This choice limits load breaks and handling phases: less risk, less cost! The risk of injury is also reduced, thanks to the easier use of pallet trucks.
- It optimizes space. Both in the truck and in the warehouse, the pallet can be stackable: this means that it can easily be stacked on top of other pallets. It’s 100% compatible with the space-saving challenge – which also saves money (transport costs and logistics budgets).
- Pallet transport costs less, thanks to shorter loading/unloading times, optimized storage and an overall reduction in the workload involved in transporting and managing pallets.
- This alternative means of transport is safe. Pallet transport is part of the daily routine for all goods carriers. Products are perfectly immobilized, reducing the risk of incidents.
- Pallets can easily be exported beyond France’s borders.
To top it all off, the pallet is a logistics accessory compatible with ecological concerns. It’s reusable and even recyclable.
Choosing the right pallet transporter
Rates, services, preferred geographical area: discover the main criteria to consider when choosing your freight forwarder.
- Managing your transport budget
- Avoid damage and disputes as far as possible
- Reduce your carbon footprint